Monday, October 20, 2014

Proper Use of Words that are Easily Confused


Set/Sit, Raise/Rise, Lay/Lie, Shined/Shone
These need an object:                      These can’t take an object:
Set
He is setting the table.
(No one can just set; something other than him must be set as a result of his action.)

Sit

He is sitting.
  (He can not “sit himself;” he must “seat himself.”
Raise
He is raising his hand to speak.
(He is giving his hand the action.)
Rise
He is rising from his seat.

(He can not “rise himself;” he must “raise himself.”)

Lay
He is laying the book on the desk.
(He is giving the book the action.)
Lie
The book is lying on the desk.
(The book does not lie itself on the desk.  A person may lay himself on a bed, but he lies there.)
Shined
The man shined his shoes before going to bed.
(He made the shoes shiny.)
Shone
After the shoes were polished, they shone like glass.
(The shoes gave off light or reflected light)

Borrow/Lend, Bring/Take
These involve things going toward you:                These involve things going away from you:    
Borrow
If I borrow ten dollars from you, the money is moving from you to me.
Lend
If I lend (loan) you ten dollars, the money is moving from me to you.
Bring
If you are holding a note, and you carry it to me, you are bringing it to me.
Take
If I hand you a note, and you carry it to someone else, you are taking it to him.  (If you are carrying the note from me to him, I would say you are taking it to him because you are carrying it away from me.  He would say you are bringing it to him because you are carrying it toward him.
Partake
If someone else has something and lets you have some of it, he is sharing it and you are partaking of it.
Share
If you have something and let someone else have some of it, you are sharing it with him.

These involve action or effort:                       These are a result:
Seek (to look for…)
“I’m looking for my book.  I hope I find it.”
If you want to know where something is, you may use your eyes to look for it.
Find

If you see something that you hadn’t known was there, then you find it. 
Study 
“I studied for the test, but I didn’t pass it.”  (You made the effort—studying—but didn’t achieve the desired result: learning.)
Learn
“When I put my hand on the stove, I learned that it was hot.”  (You didn’t study the hot stove, but you learned something about it.)

Other
Hang, hanged, hanged                                                        
(for people)         
“The criminal was hanged yesterday.”
Hang, hung, hung
(for objects)
“The picture was hung in the museum.”


No comments:

Post a Comment